Search

Howell & James Ltd, To the Queen, 579 Regent Street London

Howell & James Ltd was a distinguished firm located at 5, 7, and 9 Regent Street in London, operating between 1819 and 1911. Initially founded by John Howell and his brother-in-law, Isaac James, the company evolved from haberdashers to become renowned jewelers and silversmiths. They were notable for their role in promoting the Aesthetic Movement, notably through their art pottery and china painting galleries introduced in 1876, which positioned them as a key venue for such art in London. Their contributions extended beyond jewelry, involving a variety of high-quality items including clocks, small furnishings, textiles, and even wine.

The company underwent significant transformations throughout its history, including a change to a limited company in 1884 as Howell & James Ltd. This period marked an expansion and diversification of their offerings, which by then included products catering to the tastes of the Aesthetic Movement. Their merchandise often featured designs commissioned from prominent artists of the time, contributing to the firm’s reputation for elegance and quality. Despite its success, the company ceased operations in 1911, marking the end of an era for one of London’s most prestigious retail establishments on Regent Street.

Filters

Styles
Styles
Origin
Origin
Period
Period
Price
Price Filter - slider
£0£500,000
Material
Materials Filter
Techniques
Techniques Filter